I think you do agree with a statement says that university students are intellectual people. Absolutely, you are proud of that predicate. Consequently, you have to possess some qualifications such as, the ability to give opinion. As a matter of fact, how often do you give opinion in English to other people? rarely or never? Is it in formal or informal situation? How do you feel while giving opinion? Here below, some essential notes about giving opinion are available.
1. University students as intellectual people, must be familiar to asking and giving opinion especially in formal situation such as joining seminar, facing exam, taking part on workshop, attending discussion etc.
2. In giving opinion, be accustomed to telling reason or argument. For example, when you say disagreement to someone’s opinion, you need to tell the reason why you disagree.
3. University students must be able to appreciate different opinions. It means your opinion sometimes will be received or rejected by others. Remember, it is impossible that an opinion will be accepted by all people.
4. University students must be able to differentiate between formal and informal situation.
5. The following list deals about some common phrases that can be applied to ask someone’s opinion in formal situation.
A) What’s your opinion about the new manager here?
B) What is your comment about politicians in Indonesia?
C) What can you say about pollution in Jakarta?
D) According to your mind what are the characteristics of a good boss?
E) What is your point of view about working overtime?
F) What do you know about Vitamin A?
H) What do you think about strike in a company?
6. There are some ways you can apply in giving opinion in formal situation.
A) In my View, the manager is an easy going person, because he likes to share his work experience with all staff.
B) I think working overtime is good especially for the efficiency of the company.
C) According to my mind, one characteristic of a good boss is polite when speaking to employees.
D) As far as I know, strike may cause negative influence to accomplish the company’s objective, because there is no activity at all.
II. Complete the exercise on your module page: 46, 47, and 48
III. Please drill your students vocabulary page 10.